Insurance Carrier Takes Steps to Provide Continued Coverage for Customers Located in or Around Counties Declared Disaster Areas by Governor Abbott
AUSTIN, Texas, Sept. 5, 2017— As the overall impact of the destructive Hurricane Harvey is still being assessed, ICW Group Insurance Companies announced today that it is taking steps to provide relief to policyholders in affected counties. This includes suspending nonrenewals, cancellations and extending additional claims deadlines.
The weather-related damage from this major Category 4 storm system impacts over 55 counties across Texas, as listed in the Texas Department of Insurance Bulletin #B-0022-17
“We are disheartened at the enormous magnitude of the Hurricane Harvey disaster. Our hearts go out to those who are suffering and displaced,” said Kevin Prior, president and CEO of ICW Group. “We are fully committed to helping our customers to a speedy recovery, and understand our commitment to our Texas communities and highly value their trust in us. With destruction impacting so many, we want to ensure each customer’s safety as well as their peace of mind.”
In accordance with the Texas Department of Insurance Bulletins #B-0009-17 and #B-0020-17, and with reference to claims involving workers’ compensation claimants residing in an involved county, ICW Group has enacted the following directives for the duration of the Governor’s disaster proclamation:
- Processing and delivery of benefit checks and necessary medical care, services, and supplies, including physical therapy, pharmaceutical benefits, and medical equipment.
- Waiver of penalties and restrictions related to necessary emergency and non-emergency health care provided out-of-network.
- Coverage of payment for necessary emergency and non-emergency health care services obtained out-of-network.
- Extended deadlines for medical examinations.
- Authorize payment to pharmacies for up to a ninety day supply of any prescription medication, subject to the remaining number of days authorized by the prescribing provider, for individuals regardless of the date upon which the prescription had most recently been filled.
- Expedited change of address processing.
For customers who reside in the counties listed in the Governor’s disaster proclamation (see Bulletin #B-0022-17), the Texas workers’ compensation deadlines for the following procedures are tolled through the duration of the Governor’s disaster proclamation:
- Workers’ compensation claim notification and filing deadlines,
- Medical billing deadlines,
- Medical and income benefit payment deadlines,
- Electronic data reporting deadlines, and
- Medical and income benefit dispute deadlines.
ICW Group will send an email to Texas agents, brokers and policyholders outlining the above safeguards. It will also provide real-time announcements via LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/companies/icw-group and on Twitter via @ICWGroup.
About ICW Group
Based in San Diego, ICW Group Insurance Companies is the largest privately held insurance company domiciled in California. Quoting more than $3 billion annually, ICW Group represents a group of Property, Auto and Workers’ Compensation insurance carriers, including Insurance Company of the West and Explorer Insurance Company. ICW Group is recognized nationally as an industry leader in helping policyholders achieve fewer and less costly claims, and is committed to meeting the needs of its policyholders and elevating the trusted agents and brokers who advise them. More information is available at www.icwgroup.com.